Build your Career with an Industry Leader
Fort Dearborn Company is a leader in printed labels for the consumer products industry. Join Fort Dearborn and you will have the opportunity to become part of an organization that is committed to excellence and industry leadership for almost 100 years.
The purpose of this position, is to assist with ensuring that rolls of printed material are cut exactly to internal and customer specification. Tag appropriately, then palletized or packaged and finished materials are moved to the warehousing area. The most skilled individuals will be able to assist with the operation of several of the finishing machines.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Safely operate machinery to break out the Operator, using proper PPE when appropriate
- Able to read and interpret written instructions properly
- Able to measure with extreme accuracy, consistently
- Utilize the appropriate stickers, tags and documentation for all product
- Be able to account for losses due to press issues or slitting
- Accountable for rewinding, inspecting and oscillating the rolls of sleeve materials
- Inspect bundles and/or stacks of labels for any type of defects, flaws or nonconformity to customer specifications.
- Ensure that labels are weighed and aligned when appropriate
- “Doctor” rolls of product to remove any defects or other issues to customer specifications
- Ensure that product which does not meet expectations is discarded properly
- Ensure that any rolls not meeting specifications are QA inspected
- Properly package and palletize finished product.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- High school or equivalent GED is preferred
- Have a visual understanding of basic graphics
- Be able to learn measurements using US or Metric rule
- Ability to hear and interpret all audible indicators
- Be able to hear Emergency Alarms and machinery back up horns, etc.
- Prefer any industrial experience
- 2-3 years of mechanical or industrial experience is most helpful
- Should possess strong ability to work with others in a team.
- Be capable of coordinating “projects” to successful completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form.
- Ability to lead, delegate and meet objectives with a strong work ethic
- Ability to multi-task.
- Be able to count objects
- Be able to write clearly
Essential Functions Required:
- Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally, up to 80 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to lift 25-45 pounds on a routine basis
- Ability to distinguish color (pass a colorblindness test)
- Ability to alternate standing, walking and sitting for 8 to 12 hours
- Ability to see or correct vision to acceptable and safe working level
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, bend & climb
- Ability to alternate standing, walking and sitting for 8 to 12 hours.
- Ability to hear necessary audible safety warnings
Fort Dearborn welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Fort Dearborn Company is an equal opportunity employer.