1st ASSISTANT ENGINEER
The MV Excellence operates in the Bering Sea and off the coast of Washington and Oregon for approximately 8- 9 months of the year. The ship employs two rotating Chief Engineers and two 1st A/E who divide equally time at sea and work in port. Rotations are 60-90 days, depending on location and operation of vessel. Work is available beginning in early March.
Pay is a competitive day rate plus a case rate incentive bonus. Payroll is twice monthly and case rate bonus is paid 10 days after the fishing season. After 6 months employment you qualify for life insurance and enrollment in the company 401k plan. Travel to and from the ship is paid from anywhere in the United States.
- Responsible for all machinery: propulsion, diesel engines, generators, pumps, electric motors, large hydraulic system, reverse osmosis system producing 800 tons of water per day, ammonia refrigeration system capable of freezing 150 tons of product per day, boiler, and oversee fishmeal plant including cookers and dryers.
- Must be familiar and competent in PLC controllers, large electric winches and large refrigeration plants.
- Ensure all operations under 1st A/E supervision are carried out according to Safety Management System procedures.
- Along with Chief Engineer, ensure all new engineering officers and ratings are familiar with relevant procedures.
- Ensure maintenance records of all routine and un-scheduled maintenance are recorded in accordance with requirements and company procedures through use of maintenance management system program TM Master.
- Work closely with the PSM program for the ammonia plant.
- Ensure statutory and class surveys are carried out on all plant and equipment covered by such survey requirements.
- Investigating non-conformances and applying corrective action as agreed with ship’s Chief Engineer and Master.
- Regular inspections of all plant and equipment.
- Ensure Oil Record Book and Engine Log Book is accurate and up to date.
- Participation in fuel oil transfers.
- Emergency response supervision.
Experienced 1st A/E preferably with Factory Trawler or fishing industry experience.
USCG Licensed 1st A/E – Prefer Unlimited License,
All Required STCW Endorsements
Current USCG Medical Certificate
Proven and effective manager
Job Type: Contract
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative