Be a part of the nationwide law enforcement initiative that removes the tools of crime from criminal organizations, depriving wrongdoers of proceeds from their crime and impacting the infrastructure of criminal enterprises.
Focused on delivering unsurpassed services in support of law enforcement and homeland security, FSA, a rapidly growing joint venture owned by trusted solutions providers SAIC and Amentum, has a vacancy for a Paralegal/Legal Assistant III. In this role, you will be supporting the overall mission of FBI.
- Assists attorney in reviewing case material to include gathering and analyzing case material and preparing a digest of selected decisions/opinions, including legal references. May provide Legal Clerk/Paralegal II review.
- Receives, examines, and evaluates new and complex cases with reference to the facts of the case and established standards.
- Assists in determining probable cause by reviewing investigative reports, establishing the need for further evidence and information, and planning a comprehensive approach to obtaining that information and evidence. Advises attorneys of the strengths and weaknesses of probable cause and potential defenses.
- Investigates facts and laws of cases and searches public records and other resources to prepare cases and determine causes of action by using a variety of legal research tools, public information databases, and other automated resources. Interviews federal agents and other law enforcement officers regarding the probable cause for forfeiture and the availability of evidence and witnesses.
- Assists attorney in pretrial preparations by preparing, reviewing, and organizing discovery; notifying, interviewing, and preparing summaries; and managing witnesses.
- Assists attorney in convincing the affected individuals of the correctness of the legal position and appropriateness of the settlement. Also prepares documents for settlement or disposition.
- Prepares legal pleadings, motions, papers, and proposed orders.
- Organizes and manages files, documents, and indexing exhibits.
- Summarizes documents and proceedings, including depositions, interrogatories, and testimony to assist attorneys.
- Uses various databases and programs to extrapolate data for reports, charts, graphs, and trial exhibits.
- Provides training to other personnel as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applicants with an Active TS Clearance Preferred
- Paralegal Certificate with one-year paralegal experience; or a minimum of three-years paralegal experience.
- One-year of automated litigation support experience with knowledge of the capabilities and use of automated resources and technology for the development, presentation, and prosecution of federal cases
- Knowledge of forfeiture law, policies, and procedures and trial experience preferred
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of legal research and analysis sufficient to perform case development and documentation assignments which are typically covered by established precedents
- Excellent communication skills; oral and written, to include legal writing skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and other common software applications, to include databases
- Proven commitment and expertise to provide excellent customer service; positive and flexible; ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a team environment, deliver the highest quality of work, and maintain a professional disposition under extreme pressure
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
The mission of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution of the United States. FBI investigates a broad range of criminal violations, integrating the use of asset forfeiture into its overall strategy to eliminate targeted criminal enterprises. The FBI has successfully used asset forfeiture in White Collar Crime, Organized Crime, Drug, Violent Crime and Terrorism investigations.
Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote quali?ed persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity), veteran status, family leave status or any protected group status as de?ned by applicable law.